Exchange Club History
Charles A. Berkey is credited with the founding of this great organization. At his suggestion, the name “Exchange” was selected because the group wanted to exchange ideas and information with like-minded individuals about how to better serve their communities.
The first local Exchange Club was formed in Detroit, Michigan, in 1911. The second was the Exchange Club of Toledo, Ohio, formed in 1913. Subsequently, two others were organized in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Cleveland, Ohio. These four clubs were the first to be chartered by The National Exchange Club after it was organized as a nonprofit, educational organization in 1917.
Exchange Clubs sponsor activities under the organization’s Programs of Service – Americanism, Youth Programs and Community Service – as well as its National Project, the Prevention of Child Abuse. Each year, communities benefit from the promotion of pride in our great country, college scholarships, youth mentoring, service to the underprivileged, and other services tailored to serve the needs of its citizens.
From a handful of members in Detroit, Michigan, at the turn of the 20th century, Exchange has developed into a progressive national service organization comprised of tens of thousands of dedicated men and women serving their local communities and advancing the motto of “Unity for Service.”
Exchange is “America’s Service Club”. From the organization’s earliest days, Exchange Clubs have been selflessly serving their communities. The diverse array of Exchange-sponsored programs and projects has made a considerable impact on America, enhancing the lives of countless men, women, and children across the nation.
Exchange’s National Headquarters is located in Toledo, Ohio, where the staff’s primary objective is to help Exchange Clubs realize their full potential of community service.
The Virginia District Exchange Clubs, formerly known as the Colonial District Exchange Clubs, was formed on April 29, 1939, and is comprised of all Exchange Clubs in the State of Virginia. Our district includes Blackstone, Hampton, Hampton Roads Networking, Henrico, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Old Point Comfort, Peninsula Networking, Poquoson, Regional Club of Lynchburg, Richmond, Special Friends of Hampton, Suffolk, Tidewater and Wythe.